Tamari, Carrot & Mushroom Frittata
A Real Food Cafe favourite!
Recipe by Becca Dearing (Real Food cook)
For a quicker version (the original recipe takes about 2 hours)- try leaving out the swede and kale, halving the potatoes and eggs and making a shallower frittata. This should reduce the cooking time by about half, though be sure to check that the egg is cooked through.
- 1 small swede, 200g-300g
- 1tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, or 1tsp dried
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 carrot
- 4 medium chestnut mushrooms
- 1 small red chilli, or pinch of chilli flakes
- 1-2 large cloves garlic
- 1cm ginger, or 1/4 tsp ground
- 1/2cm turmeric, or 1/4 tsp ground (optional)
- 1 tbsp tamari (if shoyu soy sauce used this will not be GF)
- 100g chard
- 2 medium potatoes
- 8 eggs
- 100g grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200c.
- Peel the swede and cut into 1cm chunks. Toss in a small roasting tin or ovenproof dish with 1/2 tbsp olive oil, a pinch of sale & pepper and the rosemary leaves. Roast in the preheated oven for around 30 mins, until tender.
- Peel and halve the onion and slice lengthways. Scrub and halve the carrot and slice. Heat the sunflower oil in a small frying pan over a medium-low heat and gently cook the onion and carrot with a pinch of salt for around 10 mins.
- Clean the mushrooms with a dry cloth and slice. Add these to the pan and cook for a further 5 mins.
- Wash and de-seed the chilli, peel the garlic, ginger and turmeric and finely chop all four. Add to the frying pan along with the tamari and a pinch of pepper and cook for a further 3-5 mins. The veg should be tender and aromatic.
- Scrub and finely slice the potatoes. Bring to the boil in a pan of salted water and simmer for a few minutes, then drain and immerse in cold water.
- Wash and roughly chop the chard, cook in a frying pan with a dash of olive oil, a splash of hot water and a pinch of salt & pepper. This should take just a few minutes to soften.
- Reduce oven heat to 180c. Layer filling in a (roughly) 9inch diameter & 2inch deep baking tin (silicone works best- if using metal then grease/ line first). Start with a larger of sliced potato, pat dry with a clean towel then add the onion/carrot/mushroom mix. Follow with another layer of potato, then add the roasted swede and cover with the chard. Add a final layer of potato if you have any left.
- Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt & pepper and then pour slowly into the tin, over the layered vegetables. Allow time for the egg to sink to the bottom and fill any cracks. The filling needs to be just covered by egg, so add more if necessary.
- Finish by covering with cheese. Cover with baking paper followed by tin foil (so that the cheese doesn't burn) then bake in the over for an hour and 20 minutes, until the egg is cooked through.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then turn out onto a plate and flip upright for serving.