Rhubarb & Ginger Muffins
Posted in Vegetarian
- 350g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 325g brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 lemon
- 250ml milk
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 small pieces stem ginger, finely chopped
- 100g butter + 1 tbsp, melted
- 300g rhubarb, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a muffin tray with muffin cases. In a large mixing bowl, place the flour, baking powder, salt and 225g of the brown sugar. Mix, then make a well in the centre.
- Squeeze a few drops of lemon juice into the milk, and set aside for a couple of minutes.
- Place the orange zest, half the ginger, the egg, 100g of melted butter and the milk mixture into the bowl, and mix thoroughly. Fold in the chopped rhubarb.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases, filling each one to the top.
- In a small bowl, place the remaining 100g of brown sugar, the extra tablespoon of melted butter and the rest of the stem ginger. Mix until it looks like a crumble topping then sprinkle over the muffins.
- Bake for 25 mins so the sugar is golden and crispy and the muffins are cooked through. Serve warm with custard or crème fraiche for a lovely pudding!!