Welcome to the Real Food Store café!
The Real Food Store café is a popular venue with a friendly atmosphere, good service and great food! Our aim is to serve tasty, simple & exciting seasonal food.
Café opening times
Monday – Friday 9.30am - 5pm
Saturday 9.30am - 4.30pm
Lunch is served in the café from 12-3pm. The main café is upstairs, above the store and is a big, open and airy space flooded with natural light. We can seat 60 at any time. Just choose a table and come to the counter to order from the menu.
If you have enjoyed eating in the café we'd love it if you could share your experience on our TripAdvisor page if you can spare 5 minutes.
If you would like to see more of the café and shop, take a look at our 360 degree view on Google Maps below - it gives you a great feel for the bright, cheery atmosphere. Our thanks to Peter Stephens Photography for the great images.
Our talented and creative cook rustles up superb daily specials & makes the most of our ingredients, all from the store downstairs! The aim is to provide you with meals that are tasty, rustic and enjoyable - connecting you to high quality local produce that is in season. If you like what has just tingled your taste buds and satisfied your stomach you can shop for the same ingredients downstairs in the store!
Ask us for preparation and cooking tips and please pass on to us any of your favourite recipes or family traditions. We will try to add them to our recipe collection & feature them in-store and on the website.
Children are always very welcome, please choose from the menu and simply request a half portion. We have a mix of chairs and our funky 'pop' chairs (the green and grey ones) are ideal for children; we also have a couple of booster seats for little ones. There are 2 baskets of toys and books to keep children occupied. Please ask for scrap paper if your children want to draw.
Our cafe menu provides light meals available Monday – Friday 9.30am - 5pm and Saturday 9.30am - 4.30pm. We also offer daily specials. This menu is an example of our basic offering but is subject to change.
Beverages- served all day including:
- Coffees, from black Americano to latte & macchiato Made with 'Farmer 30' coffee, a superb top quality 100% Arabica bean coffee supplied by Origin Coffee, coffee buyers and roasters in Helston, Cornwall. We serve our regular coffees with one shot of coffee, please do ask for a second shot if you like your coffee strong!
- Teas, a selection of loose leaf teas supplied by Suki Teas
- Hot chocolate
- Soft drinks, featuring Sandford Orchards fruit juices, Luscombe Organic drinks & Whole Earth organic sparkling drinks
- Wines, ales and ciders
'Farmer 30' is Origin's own certification system based on financial, social and environmental factors. It means that when Origin are happy with the level of care that the coffee farms provide for their workers, their families and the environment, they agree on a price that guarantees the farmer a 30% profit margin. This delicious, subtle and flavoursome coffee is grown in El Salvador and Nicaragua where it is also washed, fermented, dried, rested & milled. The green beans are then shipped to Origin who expertly roast them, in small batches using an environmentally responsible method. The Real Food Store is really pleased to be working with Origin; we share their driven enthusiasm for good coffee and we make sure our staff get their barista training from Origin in order to make the best coffee possible. Read more about Origin and the fascinating story of coffee.
At the Real Food Store we believe in getting the most out of food & keeping waste to a minimum - here is some food for thought:
At the Real Food Store we aim for zero food waste. Because the store and the café work closely together we get pretty close to this. Why is food waste an important issue? Did you know:
- In the UK we throw away a third of the food we buy: 6.7 million tonnes a year
- That includes 1.2 million sausages & 4.4 million apples per day!
- Most of this food ends up in landfill and produces greenhouse gases as it decomposes
- Much of this food 'waste' is still in date
- The average UK household throws away over £500 worth of food a year
So what is the Real Food Café doing about it?
Our talented and creative cook shops for all ingredients at - you've guessed it, The Real Food Store. We keep a beady eye on:
- Vegetables that are beginning to lose their freshness but still fabulous if cooked up
- Sell by dates & use by dates on e.g. our range of dairy products and meats, making sure they are used in time
Then the cook and the staff team:
- Make the most of what's available, adapting a favourite recipe or inventing a dish to use up ingredients
- Plan the daily specials to take advantage of what is available (this could be an unexpected fabulous ingredient!)
- Just shop for what is needed to avoid an excess of ingredients
- Prepare & freeze excess ingredients (e.g. fruit compote)
- Compost vegetable waste (e.g. peelings, unusable salad leaves etc). We also compost the paper napkins
- Put bread that is too old to use (not much ever gets to this point) aside for a friend who feeds it to his pigs
- Bag up our coffee grounds for RFS customers to take home for their home composting
- Always recycle all card, glass and plastic containers
You can apply your own genius to making the most of your food shopping and reducing your waste. We want to share our top tips about this topic including with recipes in-store- about how to cook simple and delicious meals for you, your friends and family that don't cost the earth. We want to put good food on your plate and not in landfill.